Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Obama Takes Detroit!



Headed down to Joe Louis Arena last night to see Barack Obama LIVE! He was indeed like a Rock Star as others have said before. Wasn't sure I would make it, with the traffic and last minute decision to go and all.. but I did and was glad.

I ended up running into a number of people I knew (birds of a feather) amongst the crowd of 21,000 people which surprised me since I don't really know that many people. Hopefully they will vote for The Man, or even better, campaign for him.

This was my first political rally. I have never seen a president or vice president or even a potential one. Not to mention a Nobel prize winner! Al Gore was there to endorse Obama...Bonus all around.

It was mostly cheers, chants and an all together good feeling in the crowd. A few boos did sneak in, mostly towards McCain but also when Hillary Clinton was mentioned. I was glad that Obama put a stop to it though, this is about coming together, not as in other campaigns which only want to divide and conquer. Gov. Granholm also got her share of boos, which did surprise me a little. I guess she has lost some of her star power (along with Michigan losing jobs) since I saw her last.

Obama's speech was good, centering on the economy, jobs, energy, and in honor of Al Gore, the environment. ALL reasons I support Obama.

Watching all the secret service and media was interesting as well. From my vantage point, it was hard to see the inner workings of what was really going on. One thing that did catch my attention though was sign placement. When you walked through the metal detectors at the entrance to Joe Louis Arena everyone had to take out there Cell Phones and Cameras, turn them on and hand them to security as we passed through the scanners. We were also told No banners or signs were allowed in.. how then I wondered did all those "hand made" signs appear when I see these rallies on TV? Easy... the campaign must have had a number of hard working kids out back making them! One by one, they were handed out to those who were seated behind the soon to arrive Obama. I guess that does keep the message on target, but as with much of life, all is not what it seems.

After the rally, I chilled out in my seat for a bit to let the crowd thin, a killer headache had taken hold (guess I should eat now and again?) and I had a 90 min drive ahead. I headed out to the parking deck and then spent the next 45 mins looking for my car! I was NOT happy!! Ugghhh.. I knew which parking deck I was in, but couldn't remember anything else. After searching and searching, I never really thought the Mini was stolen, but was a bit upset that my memory is as nearly useless as it seems. Finally after going around and around I decided to head to the roof and walk down, level by level.. which did the trick.. Level Four, Red Section. And I was on my way!

And WE are on OUR way.......... OBAMA 08'


No comments: